First, an update on Angie. She is doing great and looking as beautiful as ever. The cancer drug is working and those tumors are all shrinking. She is running and walking small amounts and feeling pretty good. This is such great news and we are all hopeful that the drugs will keep working. Right now there family is enjoying a wonderful family trip to Hawaii. Her husband’s family took them on this wonderful trip to make some fabulous memories together. They have posted a few pictures on facebook. Here are a few of them.
Everyday I am usually focussed on how to get more vegetables into my diet for the day and also my children’s meal. That is one reason I love green smoothie’s so much. When I start the day getting 7-15 servings of veggies, depending on what I put in my smoothie. That is pretty impressive, but what about the rest of the day? I do love salads for lunch and then usually one of these easy recipes for dinner. Veggies should not be stressful at all. I think of them as the main course on every meal and then if we have some organic meats or eggs on the side, awesome! Here are a few very simple recipes to help you get started. They are so easy, they really aren’t even recipes. I know that when I first started to change the way my family ate, I needed it written out, even if all they did was tell me what to put my oven at and how long. It is really that simple.
Stupid Easy Perfectly Cooked Yams
3-5 medium sweet potatoes or yams
Wrap all the sweet potatoes or yams in foil
Place in crockpot and cook on low for 8 hours or high for 4 hours.
Eat with something. Like sausage, or almond butter and cinnamon, or coconut butter, or shredded pork, or ground beef. Really whatever you have in your kitchen at that time.
Preheat oven to 425
1.wash and cut up any veggie. I like to use broccoli, cauliflower, sweet potato or yams, butternut squash, carrots, organic potatoes, onions, ect. You just cube them up or break apart depending on the veggie, to bite size pieces.
2.Melt some organic butter, coconut oil, or avocado oil-2-4 Tbs. The amount really just depends on how many veggies. You want them all to be coated with oil. Mix them around with your hands. Sprinkle some organic sea salt on them and make sure they are all coated with oil. I don’t use olive oil because you are cooking them at a high temperature.
3. Place cookie sheet on top rack of 425 oven. I time for 20 minutes, then flip veggies with spatula. I then watch them for another 10-20 minutes. The broccoli and cauliflower are done when you see a little char on the edges, but not black of course. The sweet potatoes and root veggies just need to be able to stab through easily with a fork and also a little roasted char color around them.
Homemade French Fries or Sweet Potato Fries
Preheat oven to 425
40 minutes total cook time
1. scrub your potatoes if using white, peel if using sweet potatoes.
2. cut up into the shape of french fries you want, thicker if you want it the wedges.
3. melt 2-4 TBS of coconut oil and then drizzle over fries, spread out on cookie sheet.
4. sprinkle liberally with sea salt or sometimes I use steak seasonings.
5. cook for 20 minutes, flip fries and then cook for 20 more minutes. Don’t be tempted to open oven, just wait until timer rings.
Perfect french fries that your kids will love.