I got amazing new tonight from a friend that has been struggling with infertility. She came to my retreat and was determined to get her health back in order with food and not hormones and medications. She did the work, and she just found out she is pregnant. This photo was just taken on our trip to San Diego not long ago with my family. As I look as my four kids, I realize how lucky and blessed I have been to have my children. It is something that we can so easily take for granted when so many are not struggling with this issue. I just want to offer hope to those that are struggling. Getting you hormones balanced, giving your liver a break from toxins, and rebuilding your bodies, especially the gut, can help to get everything working how it should again.
I struggled a few years ago, after being Vegan for a few years, with no periods. I had seen three different doctors who wanted to put me on medications from Metformin, to birth control, to thyroxin. I realized that my body was trying to tell me something. I started to research, study, and be open minded. One of the best books I read was “The better baby book” by Lana and Dave Asprey. I wasn’t trying to get pregnant, but knew it was all related so I read that book and started to realize how important organic grass-fed saturated animal fats, pastured egg yolks and toxin-free foods were in a diet. I started to add those back into my diet, stop chronic cardio workouts, eliminate toxins from my beauty routine, and start to do yoga, meditation, and work on my sleep. I got my period back within months and it has been regular since as long as I take care of myself. You have to look at the toxic load your taking in and on your body everyday. You need to look at your adrenal health and your workout schedule. You need to look at how many chemicals your putting on your body that can disrupt estrogen. There are a ton of factors that went into getting my hormones back in check. We have been working on healing our guts using the GAPS diet, probiotic foods to re-populate the good bacteria, adding supplementation and drinking bone broth almost everyday. We already had the veggies and greens as part of our every meal routine, the healthy fats was a big part that was missing. I also have read the “Iodine Crisis” which I would recommend to anyone struggling with breast cancer, tumors, PCOS, and other hormonal issues.
There is definitely hope and I believe that you can totally help your body to heal. Here is a few key recommendations.
- Start eating wild salmon, organic grass fed meats, organ meats or desiccated liver supplements, on a daily basis.
- Eat organic pastured eggs, leaving the yolks runny or raw if your throwing them in your smoothie or homemade ice cream. Tryptophan, selenium, iodine, phosphorus, riboflavin, choline, folate, lutein, zeaxanthin, vitamin D, and lot of good protein and fats are just a few reasons to eat healthy eggs. Most of the nutrients are in the yolk, so no more egg white omelets.
- Eat good quality coconut oil, grass-fed butter or ghee, and good quality olive oil (not cooked, just raw like in salad dressings. Eat avocados any chance you can or even in your smoothies or chocolate avocado pudding.
- Look at the GAPS diet and follow their guidelines for what foods heal the gut lining and what foods destroy it. Eliminate gluten from your diet and start to repopulate the gut with probiotic foods and supplements
- Stop using plastic, especially to warm up your food. Try and avoid the microwave as much as possible and just heat things up on your stove.
- Start cooking at home, most restaurants use toxic oils, sugars, and cheap meat and ingredients so make eating out more of a rare occasion.
- Try and eliminate sugar, soda, and processed foods from your diet.
- Don’t overdo long hours of cardio. Do burst training workouts that are shorter and more intense a few times a week. Walk and do yoga more and try and meditate and relax.
- Work on sleeping well overnight. Read Shaun Stevenson’s new book on sleep and follow all his guidelines.
- Try not too stress. Meditate, go outside more, use essential oils for healing and support. Supplement with whole food nutrition supplements and superfoods.
We could honestly go on for hours, but really I am just feeling so grateful for my sweet new friend and her joy in finding out she is pregnant. What a gift we are all given to have the ability to feed ourselves with the foods that can actually heal ourself. All disease begins in the gut and let food be thy medicine. These are words to live by.